Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Singing in the Waldorf


My parents were in the city last week so the three of us had dinner at Peacock Alley, right in the lobby of the Waldorf=Astoria. Since it was a pre-birthday celebration, my mom had arranged for the waiter to bring three glasses of champagne over to our table when we first sat down. It was a wonderful way to start the evening... Mom and I both started with the creamy potato, herb, and truffle soup and Dad had the Kumamoto Oysters...no surprise there! As an amuse bouche, the chef brought out the pistachio crusted seared foie gras with lychee caramel...can you say decadent? We pretty much could have stopped there and we would have been content. Instead, we pushed through and continued to eat our way through the menu. Oh, and did I mention that Dad also ordered a bottle of Pinot Noir? Because we all know that eating without drinking is like eating without silverware!

So with our wine, we all shared the Tuna Tartare, Butter Poached Maine Lobster, and the house Bouillabaisse...clearly we were in the mood for seafood. Everything was great, except for the risotto that accompanied the lobster - it was pretty bland and slightly cement-y - but at that point, I was already slightly buzzed and just enjoying catching up with my parents.

After our entrees had disappeared, there was a small lull in conversation and I swear, it was at this exact time that we stopped to listen to the pianist and she started singing "Happy Birthday"...to me. Right in the middle of the hotel. It made me blush, but I was secretly thrilled that the manager had arranged it - Mom was just as surprised as I was! Right when the song ended, the waiters brought over three desserts for the table, one with a candle and "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate. Another very welcome surprise! Oh wait, make that four desserts - I forgot that Mom had actually ordered one: Cookies and Mignardises, for the sole reason that it comes with amazing, delicious, homemade, melt-in-your-mouth marshmallows. The other desserts included cheesecake, peanut butter and chocolate mousse, and apple crumble. Those came home with me for the roommates...you're welcome K1, K2, and K3!

Whoever said that drinking with your parents was awkward was sorely mistaken...

No comments:

Post a Comment