Monday, December 29, 2008

Sunday Fun-day


Sunday night mom, dad, brother, boy, and I went to dinner at Buddakan and it was phenomenal. The night started off a little shaky...the restaurant was dark and a little loud, so dad was getting a little frustrated that he couldn't hear all of the conversation. Once he got a cocktail, though, he was fine...just needed to relax and settle into his surroundings. I had the "fate" cocktail, which was apparently one of the top 25 cocktails in the country, and it did not disappoint...I could have had about 30 of them....So, we sat downstairs (around the corner from the main room in the photo above) in a grotto-like room...the place is like a maze and it just keeps going. I would love a full tour of the place, especially the kitchen where there were 70 chefs hard at work - Dale included!

When we eat, we always share, so we made sure to order a variety of things that everyone agreed on. The edamame dumplings sound a little funky, but they were delicious! General Tsao's dumplings and cold tuna spring rolls were great too, but the best app we had was the chili rock shrimp...SO good. I'm pretty lame when it comes to spicy food, but these had just enough bite without burning your mouth. Mmmmm....

For our mains, we all enjoyed the glazed Alaskan black cod the most, but the Peking duck, Szechuan crusted NY rib eye, and Cantonese steamed sole were also great. We also ordered some sides - sugar snap peas, lobster fried rice (my personal favorite!), and chili crab with crispy noodles - that were all yummy too. Needless to say, there was no room for dessert... 4 appetizers, 4 entrees, and 3 sides were more than enough for 5 people, and everyone got to try a little of everything, which I love.

Which leads me into my next, and final, point: I do not like to go out to eat with people who do not share or try what I'm sharing with them. I love trying new things and I want others to try new foods as well, even if it doesn't sounds instantly appealing to them. Everyone should have an open mind and be willing to push past their comfort zone. I love dim sum, family style, and tapas restaurants for this reason: the dishes are meant to be shared and enjoyed by everyone at the table. I know that if you order a really good meal that you want it all for yourself (trust me, I've been there...), but part of the fun is allowing others to enjoy it just as much!

Cheers! To sharing in 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment