Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Honey Do


On Monday, Boy and I had the great pleasure of dining at Apiary in the East Village for our 22 month anniversary (don't judge). I don't really like to scope out restaurants before I go to them, except for a quick peek at the menu, but since it's Restaurant Week, I decided to check out their website for a sneak preview. I'm so happy that I did because I discovered that Monday is Apiary's BYOB night with no corkage fee! Perfect! I have some great bottles of wine from my Sonoma trip in September that I have just been dying to drink, so this was the perfect time to uncork the Pinot Noir from Sebastiani Vineyards.

The space itself is simple, clean, and beautiful, just how I imagine my non-existent restaurant to be. Everyone on the staff was affable and helpful, and made us feel right at home. After we ordered, we immediately dipped into our wine and it was just as good as I remember...

Now to the food...When we go out to eat, Boy and I try really hard to order different meals so we can share as much as possible. For his dinner, Boy ordered the Tuscan White Bean Soup, Confit of Duck Leg, and Vanilla Panna Cotta (he has a weakness for raspberry coulis). We both really enjoyed the thick soup, not too heavy or lumpy, and the duck was cooked perfectly - crunchy skin and moist meat. The Panna Cotta was very eh. I ordered the Endive and Pear Salad, Chatham Cod, and Trio of Ice Cream and Sorbet. All 3 were really great - the Salad was slightly reminiscent of the Cosi Signature Salad (my favorite salad of all time!!!), the Cod was in a razorfish clam chowder that was really yummy except for the actual clams, and I loved the dessert. Boy guessed correctly that they were from il laboratorio del gelato on Orchard St and for my birthday, I want a gallon of the Strawberry flavor...SO good.

Throughout the night, the wine was delicious and paired well with each course, even though I had fish. I wish I had a gallon of that too! On the way home we made sure to stop at Trader Joes for some of their house Muscat...also really good for only $6! Sometimes I wish all restaurants in the city were BYO with no corkage fee because it keeps cost down and you have full control over the alcohol.

All in all, a great night. Cold, but great.

Get eating!

P.S. We were there for the very beginning of Scott Bryan's career there after taking over Neil Manacle's role as Executive Chef. Great showing!

No comments:

Post a Comment