Monday, January 5, 2009

My favorite restaurant in the city

Ahh The Cow. We met in 2007, but I feel like we've known each other much much longer than that. You've met a lot of my friends, you were there for one of my anniversaries, and you have always taken such good care of me. I plan on spending a lot more time with you in the future and I know you're ready for it.

So for those of you that have not met, let me introduce you to one of the best little restaurants in the city: The Sunburnt Cow. Located on Avenue C between 8th and 9th, this very relaxed Australian spot offers one of the best deals for dinner - $16 for an appetizer, entree, and dessert. You're probably thinking that this is either too good to be true or that the food must be small and mediocre. But fear not! The portions are perfect and the food is consistently great. And then there are the cocktails...heaven. You really can't go there without trying one...or two...or thirty. The Aussie staff is a lot of fun too and they are so nice.

I've tried about half of the entrees and drinks and all of the appetizers and desserts. Here are my favorites:

Appetizers - Cow salad and calamari. They make look small, but they are the best lead up to the main course.

Entrees - Fish burger, lamb burger, or the beef burger with the lot. Getting all of these dishes just how they are with everything on them is KEY. Especially the remoulade on the fish burger...it just melts in your mouth. And now my stomach is growling...mmmmm

Desserts - Sticky date pudding (not actually pudding, more like cake) and the pavlova (a creamy meringue)

Drinks - The Sunburnt (homemade passion fruit infused tequila with strawberries) and the Whinging Pom (a gin and pomegrante spin on the classic mojito)

Really, you can't go wrong here. I know that it sounds like I'm really selling and promoting this place, but to be honest, I don't want it to get crazy popular because then it wont be my "secret" spot anymore!

(Oh, and how could I forget? They have an amazing brunch too! For $15 you get food and unlimited booze! Party on Garth!)


When I came back from studying abroad in Sydney, I missed it so much and The Cow always makes me feel like I'm back, even if it's just for a few hours.

I hope you love it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment