Monday, January 12, 2009

Make mine [medium]Rare


Let me preface this post with the fact that I am not a big meat eater. Actually, I was a vegetarian for a long time. And by vegetarian, I mean that I ate chicken and fish. So I guess that made me something lame, like a....pesca-pollotarian? And then I discovered sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwiches and that was the end of that...

Anyway, the bottom line is I hardly eat red meat (just because of the taste, not the smelly animals), but I will always make an exception for a delicious, juicy burger. So Saturday afternoon when my brother arrived, K2 and K3 had the great idea of going to Rare on 37th and Lex. They are constantly raving about their lollipop wings, so we just had to see what all the fuss was about! Brother is a big carnivore, and since there was a long night of drinking ahead of us, it seemed to be a perfect late-afternoon lunch.

After an unpleasant hostess refused to sit us in a booth (when the place was only half-full), we immediately ordered 2 plates of wings and they did not disappoint. Flavorful, spicy, tender...and when dipped in the warm, roquefort fondue, mmmmm! However, this leads me to my next confession: I cannot handle spicy food. I'm really trying to overcome this aversion and sensitivity, and so far, I've graduated from mild to medium salsa. But these wings...wow. It was the kind of spicy that leaves your lips tingling for a while. Definitely not mild! I tapped out after 3 wings and brother was really proud of me! A few months ago, I would have been done after 1 bite, so I guess I'm starting to toughen up!

Next came the burgers. Our waiter informed us that the chef's trio of sliders were pesto and mozz, caramelized onions and swiss, and mexican style with chipotle puree (hot!), black bean spread, and guacamole. A variety of mini-burgers is right up my alley (as I am totally indecisive!) so I had to order them. All 3 were delicious, especially the pesto and mozzarella. Then again, anything with pesto and mozz is delicious...

Brother ordered the brunch burger which was ENORMOUS. He's not a small kid, but he struggled with it. Definitely do not order it on a date because it's really messy, especially with the egg on top! It came with a very mediocre bloody mary and some pretty decent homefries.

Since I'm not used to eating so much meat at one sitting, I was full very quickly. I was never big on leftovers, but since I moved to NY, you gotta do it so you can get another meal out of it... Boy ended up eating them on Sunday night during 24, so it worked out well.

My foresight was 20-20 that day, as we ended up drinking for a pretty long time, with only a slice of pizza somewhere in the middle of it. Good base = long night.

Dig in and drink up!

No comments:

Post a Comment